when mental health problems are identified and treated.
*** We have recently added MHFA for Adults who work with Youth***
What is MHFA?
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is an evidence based educational program developed in Australia. Based on the medical model of first aid, MHFA Basic Training teaches first aid skills to help individuals who are developing a mental health problem or experiencing a mental health crisis.
The 12 hour interactive training course focuses on adults experiencing mental health difficulties. Some of what participants learn includes:
- Identifying when an individual may be a risk to themselves or others;
- Recognizing early signs of mental health problems;
- Guiding individuals toward appropriate professional help;
- Providing comfort & support to those experiencing a mental health problem
Formal evaluation of MHFA has demonstrated a number of benefits including:
- Improved recognition of mental health problems;
- Reduced stigma associated with mental health issues;
- Increased knowledge of appropriate treatments;
- Increased confidence in providing help when needed.
Why consider MHFA?
Info to be updated
MHFA Canada: For Adults Who Interact with Youth focuses on mental health problems and first aid for youth ages 12 to 24. Mental health problems often first develop during adolescence or early adulthood, with half of all mental disorders beginning by age 14, and 75 percent beginning by age 24. (taken from MHFA Canada website… )
More information will be added to our site soon!!!